Saturday, July 4, 2009

Black lab

Ran over to Sid's to look after Maddie as soon as I was dressed, then came back to walk the Lark. It was pretty hot, but nothing really interesting happened. We met a middle-aged man with a grizzled beard when we were almost to the gate, but otherwise there was nobody out. I wonder if it was the same man who was watching a deer that time? 

Phil and I got out to the grocery store about eleven-thirty. Did the shopping, came home for lunch, and then went out again. We went to REI to try on shoes; I found some hiking boots I liked (Philip paid--mostly) and Phil tried some sandals. I think he decided on that model, but to see if the flagship store in Golden has a better selection. They looked good, anyway.

It was raining when we got out of REI, and continued to rain as we drove down to the surplus store, where I got a boonie hat. It'll do. Next was Safeway, because Grandma said they have the best watermelons. Met a black lab on the sidewalk outside.

Philip's pretty well decided we're not going to the Mann's picnic, which, he says, has probably moved to the church with the rain. Phooey.  We had pork ribs for dinner, with watermelon salad and baked potatoes. It was really good. 

Maddie Madeline was ready to go out when I went over after dinner, but it was sopping outside and I've no confidence in my ability to get her in again. Besides that Lark was waiting for her walk, so I apologized and left. Lark and I went the usual way, by the signs the first people to do so since the rain. The creek was running fast, with an interesting detour into the path at the crossing. I think the detour sort of leaked off the main streambed in bits, and then merged in the scrub there to flow into the path a little above the crossing. It was fun to watch, at any rate. The weather was nice, we met no one but heard their firecrackers, and my new boots were satisfactory. It may be a while before I'm used to the weight of 'em, though.

Philip's planning on Men in Black tonight (it was going to be Independence Day, but I've seen it before) so I'd better save this now. I'll report on the movie in the morning, probably while Philip showers.

Fifteen of each after the movie. Getting easier, not that the bloody cheering section helped.

No comments: