Sunday, July 12, 2009

Mostly lab, possibly pit, and "mostly poodle, if not all"

Philip ended up being the one waking me up this morning, somewhat later than usual for a Sunday--eight-forty, maybe? I panicked, anyway, enough to get out of bed pretty promptly, and then forget what I do first--i.e., let the dog out. I remembered before actually, say pouring cereal, but it was a discomfiting feeling. There was one stoplight where Philip thought we were going to be late, and we just barely made it before the announcements. The sermon was on Romans 8:28-30, which kinda drives me nuts because of course they don't use KJV, and hearing the familiar words so changed drives me insane. Of course, it would probably still drive me nuts if the words were the same, because he would cadence them differently, but not as much.

After church we ran home to let the dog out for a few minutes, and then we went to the Boonzaijers' for lunch. There was rather a flock of children, Jenna's four and one more. Soren, the eldest, is perhaps ten; Decker (?), a friend, about the same. I think Charis told me she was five, Aunica (sp?) is two and a half, and Silas is just walking. He tends to run around under everyone's feet at church, which always rather startles me. I'm getting used to it; everyone else seems to take it for granted. It's such a small church, nobody really worries about losing track of their child. Have I mentioned I love this church? Anyway, besides the little ones, there were Jenna, Steve, Philip, me, and Ben. Ben seems to be an old friend of the family, especially of Jenna's, and he's very good with the kids. He's also a programmer friend of Philip's, so they talk to each other at church a lot. So the older kids all ate at the island, and the grownups and the toddlers ate at the kitchen table. The conversation was pretty interesting, mostly about the duty of Christians to the poor and whether it applies to those who are homeless through their own fault, etc. I didn't have much to contribute, but it was interesting to listen to. We eventually left, some time after dessert, fleeing a discussion of iPhone apps that degenerated into Jenna and Ben taking turns with Phil's phone playing a game on it. Ben threw her his phone so we could escape. 

It began to rain heavily shortly after we got home, and I read Passage until about five or so, when I took Lark out into cloudy humidity. We met two women up towards the far end of the first leg, accompanied by a muscular brindle sort-of-like-a-pit to whose breed they claimed ignorance, and a big black mostly-lab. Lark was pretty relieved to get away, because even after they were leashed the two dogs, both larger than she, continued to bark. Sheesh. So I jogged for a spurt, and then had to quash Lark for jumping at me while I ran, after which we walked. Actually she walked, trotted, loped, and galloped, but I walked. We went down to the head of the creek for splashes; it was pretty lively, after the afternoon's rain. Coming up out of the wash we encountered a familiar pair: a small poodle mix, sopping wet, and a shirtless man on the farther slope of middle age. I think the first thing he said, after greetings, was, "Oh. Military?" "Ah--no, I just like their clothes," I answered, in the most glib reply to that inquiry so far. After those two the rest of the walk was hot but uneventful.

Finished Passage, Philip went back to Golden, started another Mrs. Pollifax. Did I mention Jenna's given me another reason to drive now? She wants an au pair/housemaid, and while I don't think I'd live there coming over a few times a week, or whatever, would be cool. Also certain instincts were stirred by the kitchen floor. I just wanted to grab a mop and attack it. So add it to the list of "Things to Do that Someone Might Actually Pay Me For If I Move Out Here." So far we have:
Work at Rock Ledge Ranch (driver's license required)
Help Jenna out (ditto)
And anything more I think of.

Fifteen pushups, getting easier. Twenty situps--should probably up that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So THERE's an interesting amendment (or do I mean codicil?) to "ignorance is bliss" (pit owners). Willful ignorance? Protective ignorance? Or just diplomacy. Of a sort.

I was in a fret yesterday, not seeing Cosmo all day long. No sign. I kept imagining a black and white body in some container around (old refrigerator, washing machine, etc.). But this morning he appeared, rolling to his back in my lap and looking like a complete idiot. Me, too.

Tell G-ma I've harvested beets, onions, yellow squash and zuchinni. Last night I sauteed together yellow and zuch, onion, cabbage, and kielbasa like hers. The boys choked it down. They are such an encouraging bunch -- any sight of a vegetable, and the whining begins.

I've organized my linens and gotten my dresser back to my room, out of the garage. Progress! And this week school starts...a shock to the system.

Glad you like church. Of course you would. Real live other people, living real lives.

The garden amazes me. The contrast with past years is so great, it's scary. Just watering regularly? That's all it takes? And sand. And manure. And raised beds. OK. The bean plants are beatiful. And I'd like to paint portraits of the cabbage plants. I've often seen soup tureens make to look like a cabbage. I'd like several, please. How many things around the house could be made in the form of a cabbage in full "bloom"?

Well, I had two cups of coffee this morning, can you tell? Out to the garden I go. Miss you.

Anna said...

I think it was diplomacy--I've noticed people with pits are pretty defensive. The best way to mollify them is to compliment the dog's appearance--"cute" works best--but this woman didn't even give me a chance. Lol/sigh.

Haha. Idiot cat. You should really know better, though....all cats are like that.

Muaha. They shouldn't have minded the onion and cabbage, at least.....P,P

Whoa. Well, I hope nobody's touched my room......? Wait, you mean I've been doing school all this time AND THEY HAVEN'T?!?!!! *rawr*

Yeah. Philip says the question, regarding me moving out here, is which I like more, sheep or people. Nice, Phil. >.> Jenna thought so too. I explained that if I got a job at Rock Ledge I'd be able to have my cake and eat it too.

Lol. Have you taken pictures? Youll want 'em, later. Hey, that would be good wallpaper for your comp this winter....

Oh, so that's it. XD Miss y'all. Love you.

Anonymous said...

No, that's SCC type school. They've done some things on and off. They also need to get going.

Anna said...

Oh, okay. I did think you might be talking about the public schools, but I couldn't think why...