Sunday, July 19, 2009

Pit bull

Made it to church on time, but with the sort of sleep-deprived hangover that makes me lightheaded while standing and makes my blood run oddly when I sit down again. Philip was horribly helpful in keeping me awake during the sermon, which was, I think, on the gift of salvation unassisted by the recipient. I didn't have a bulletin, which made things even worse.

We didn't stay very long after the sermon, but long enough to see some people. George, a man with very black hair and a somewhat craggy face, was behind us with his wife, whose name I didn't catch. I asked Philip, and he said Mrs. Kleinbeart. So helpful. Well, at least it gives me something to call her. And while he was talking to a computers colleague, Brad (closer middle-aged, for once), I dodged over to ask Mr. Marble when Mrs. Marble is coming home. He says she and Ian (language major, I think in the Air Force now but that could be a different son) are coming back on the nineteenth, but Abby, one of the girls, is coming on the fourteenth. Unfortunately I think this is all August, i.e., after I'm gone. Sigh. Oh, and one of the ladies was celebrating her ninetieth birthday. I have yet to learn their names (hear, yes--learn, no) but I really like 'em both. The old gentleman is on oxygen, and they're both shorter than me, but I talk to him a lot, and they're both really nice. He told me his ninetieth is next year, and I asked how much of that time they'd been together. They had their sixtieth anniversary in March. Wow. That could explain why they look so.....together, I think I mean. You see one, and think of the other automatically, because the two are a unit.

A.M. Fowler was here when we got home, but she didn't stay long after. Started The Magicians and Mrs. Quent, which has a major Regency vibe and which I picked off the new-novels shelf at the library. I think Mom might like it. Pride and Prejudice meets Jane Eyre meets Lord of the Rings, or perhaps a Patricia C. Wrede Regency. I'm not at all sure how much of his plot this guy had planned in advance, though.

Quiet afternoon. Read some, napped some.

After dinner Lark finally got her walk, poor thing. It wasn't as cool out as I expected, considering it had been raining when we got home from church, but it wasn't too hot. We nearly ran into the man with the pit bull from awhile back, but I talked Lark out of running ahead and I'm not sure either of them saw us. Otherwise it was pretty uneventful. There was a nice cool breeze as soon as we got out of the park, though. ¬.¬' 

Looks like Philip messed with the time controls again. I called him, but he was driving and didn't pick up, and I haven't heard back from him. All I can say is I'd better not be locked out by eight-thirty on a regular basis.

No comments: