Monday, May 18, 2009

Coyote

Mom and Grandma just called me into the greenhouse to watch a fat, healthy coyote go through the backyard! He was very handsome, and not at all shy. Lark, who was tied out, didn't even notice him from where she was lying in the shade of the garden. Silly dog. He saw me coming into the greenhouse with my glasses and trotted away into the Seamans' back yard.

Karen, the nurse, came for Grandma's INR almost an hour late, and after she left Mom and I went to the library. I got some Heyers, a Pratchett, and the last Bujold omnibus, Miles in Love. I've read the books in it, but there's a short story included which is otherwise unavailable. We also found Dick Francis' autobiography, which I'm going to read aloud to Grandma.

Mum left about ten-thirty or so. I spent some time on the comp, finishing "Two Lumps", and when Grandma got up from her nap we had leftover corn chowder for lunch. Once Grandma went down for her nap, Lark and I went for our walk. We were out about half an hour, going up toward the Treasure, sheering off along the side of the ridge, and heading down to the dorm parking lot once we got past the barbed-wire boundary fence. From the parking lots we went along Stanton home. One advantage to dog-walking in Colorado is that little black dogs wear out faster than girls in white T-shirts. *evil grin* So, yes, I'm beat when we get back, but she's more beat. Bweheheheh. One.....is it a downside?.....point about going past the dorms is that there are a lot of younger people going along the road there. Intimidating but not necessarily bad, I guess. I got some points today, though--a young guy who snapped his eyes away when I looked up. Muahaha. It's interesting not being the self-conscious tongue-tied one, even if there's no actual interaction.

Once we got home Lark and I went and camped with Miles in Love at the bottom of the garage stairs. It's a very effective method of recovery, and I got sidetracked into the denouement of A Civil Campaign while looking for the beginning of the short story.

The physical therapy lady is here. She's a sturdy-looking lady named Lee, currently engaged in energetic discussion of Grandma's chances of recovery with Grandma. 

.....Whoa, that was awhile ago. Grandma and I just finished dinner, which was a sort of chicken noodle casserole kindly supplied by a bridge friend named Joan. The best of the meal was the after-dinner show, though. :3 It was getting dark, and about to rain, when deer started coming through! First it was just one with six-inch antlers off to the left of the greenhouse. He was followed by several more through there, until Grandma sent me to see if there were any visible from the studio. There was one right there by the balcony, on the patch of lawn between the steps and the driveway! He spooked like a lamb when I came through the door, but I froze and he decided I wasn't an imminent threat. He looked about a little more, flicking his ears like a sheep, before walking off along the path to the mailbox. The show ended with seven young bucks grazing on the lower lawn.

......Mum just called. That was at eight-twenty, and it's eight thirty-five now. In the meantime I helped Grandma get into her PJ's--which, while slightly less embarrassing than I anticipated, is still a bit--and clipped her toenails. Which is something of a relief, because it needed doing.

I finished "Winterfair Gifts", the short story about Miles' wedding. Is very good. I very much recommend it to you stay-at-homes who can't because the cheapskate library won't get it. *evil grin* Make that cruel. *cruel grin*

No comments: