Sunday, May 17, 2009

Schnauzer/spaniel

Mom got me up in good time to get ready for church, since I don't shower in the mornings. I did have some ironing to do, but in the end it was Philip who delayed us--not enough for me to be obnoxious about it, sadly. We arrived in good time, and I was glad to find that the first psalm had a very simple tune, easy for me to follow. Philip claims that they're all hard for him. The sermon was about the Epistle to the Colossians, focusing on the debate over its authorship. Apparently there's a theory prevailing that the actual author was merely an obscure disciple of Paul, rather than Paul himself. Pastor Reese presented the evidence for--slightly different style, mainly--and evidence against: of course the style's different, one's style changes throughout one's life and besides he had a lot of different scribes, and this was a cooperation with Timothy, and does one really want to trust the opinion of someone who doesn't even blink at the idea of forging a letter from Paul? By a follower of his teachings? No. Anyway, I stayed awake very well once I started taking notes, and all in all it wasn't bad. As soon as we were dismissed the little kids stampeded, though. :p

The Home Health Care lady came a bit after we got home, and she talked to Mom while I computerized. As I'm going to have to be fairly close to Grandma whenever she's not firmly established, say, in bed, I'd better take this opportunity while I can. And Mom told Philip over lunch that I have algebra, so unless I stow it in the car when Mom leaves this may be a problem. She told 'im three lessons a week. Gurk.

I'm reading a new webcomic. Two Lumps, found on Keenspot, is about two cats. If you wanna know more, besides the main point which is that it's hilarious, go to twolumps.net. So there.

Philip is talking about going on a trip with Luke this summer. Luke may take a little persuasion, and he's not sure where to yet, but I expect he'll do it. Besides, Luke wants to visit Front Sight again before they shut down or change owners or whatever. The business is in receivership, whatever that's supposed to convey, and Mad Dog is crowing because he hates the guy in charge. Okay. I admit, it's pretty funny the way Phil tells it. Anyway, wherever they go, Philip wants to know if Doug would be interested in going. Possibly it goes without saying that I'm interested.

Lark and I went out about three or so. We took the shorter loop 'round the pond on the Heller trail, encountering a nice older couple on the far side of the tiny pond. The lady had a cute little (that means medium, for most people) grey dog on a lead, and she asked right off if Lark was an Australian Shepherd. She was very admiring of Lark's coloring, and kindly warned me to be careful, hiking alone. Her husband smiled and didn't say much, but I liked his face. Lark was rather intimidated by the little dog, a Schnauzer/spaniel mix named Tucker: he was very interested in her, and it worried her rather. She did not, however, go so far as to climb all the way up when I let her put her forepaws on my arm. I did rather get the impression she was thinking about it, though--perhaps she was too tired to do it unnecessarily. We were both beat long before we reached the main trail, at which point we were overtaken by a tersely polite gentleman on a bicycle. He passed us and went off on the road, where he had a much easier time of it than on the trail we had been followed, which was very narrow, and followed a creek bottom toward the end. Not terrain I should wish to ride a bicycle on.

Philip left for Golden right before dinner, which was chicken and rice, courtesy of Norma, and followed by English toffee ice cream. Nom! After dinner Grandma had me read out loud: The View From the Folding Chairs, by Michala Miller. Apparently Micky Miller was a neighbor when Grandma lived in Walden, and used to play with Chuck, Grandma's younger brother. Grandma says she was rather older than they--it sounds to me something like Doug and me with the Amen boys, but perhaps that's a bit off. After I finished the chapter she told us about her memory of the CCC, the Civilian Conservation Corps, created to supply jobs during the last Depression. She was eleven, and had pneumonia, and the only doctor in town, who was not a GP but an osteopath, had to borrow antibiotics from the CCC camp.

Awright!! New Shi ga Futari no Wakatsu Made chap! Mamoru finally shows up! And hey, what do you know.....looks like Haruka has some friends.

Rest of the evening spent reading "Two Lumps" and The Black Moth, fiddling with my Pandora channels (a depressing occupation), and trying to figure out what nameless outdoor menace Lark is barking at. I shall now proceed to shower and bed. Probably. Soon.

No comments: