Sunday, May 24, 2009

Pit bull

We just got home from church. We had Psalm 133 again, the one psalm I've seen so far to, despite mangled words and a different tune, be set to a familiar tune. I believe the Scottish Psalter's rendition goes, "Behold how good a thing it is when brothers..." uh, no more by memory, but basically, brothers dwelling in unity is a good thing, not unlike ointment running down Aaron's beard onto his clothes or dew on Mount Hermon. So, it was nice singing a familiar tune, but I didn't really get my voice right. 

Sermon was Part 2 on Colossians 1:1,2, this time discussing the meaning behind Paul's greeting. A condensation would be "you're saints, God's people; faithful, believers; and brothers, as members of my family, the church." I didn't fall asleep--took some notes. We stopped to talk to some people afterwards. One lady, Mrs. Marble, had just with her family joined the church. They're living in a hotel right now, having just moved down from Wasilla, Alaska to be near the son in the Air Force Academy. Three sons and a daughter were visible today, but I understand there are more. Talking to her was fun--she told me that when they saw me behind Philip, they started making bets on sister/"special other". She had her money on sister, because of the way Phil walked in front. Heh. She did ask, uncertainly, was I a younger sister? Bwaha. Anyway, she suggested we come see them, and I'd like to. I also got to talk to Mrs. Boonzaijer and Mrs. Reese. I like 'em both. I saw Tava, but we didn't run into each other.

I got to wear the dress Sid gave me for the first time. It's a lovely chocolate brown, made of some delightfully smooth fabric. It's cut flatteringly, too. There's a matching jacket, but I decided against wearing it, and Grandma gave me the run of her scarf drawer for some color to break up the brown. I went with a sort of reddish amber scarf on my head, but there are several others I'd like to wear with this dress. Having decided on the scarf with me, Grandma thought of a jacket in her closet, which Aunt Ann had given her and which was much too small for her-- the sleeves were a little short even for me. It turned out to be of metallic gold thread interwoven with a gray base. It went very well with the dress, and was quite warm enough. It wasn't much help at the end, though--it began to rain as we were coming home, and I didn't even put it on when we got home. The rain is still coming down in sheets, and it began to thunder as we were eating lunch. The effect, from inside the greenhouse, is rather like going through one of those aquarium tunnels, where one is surrounded by water and fish.

Once the rain stopped, about four o'clock, Lark and I moved out. We went up the treasure-hill and around through the houses to the mountain road again. This time, however, we met someone at the top of the road: an uneasy older gentleman with a chocolate-colored pit bull. He got a good grip on her when he saw us, explaining that while she was very well-behaved most of the time, she was something of a dominatrix, making a lot of noise when asserting herself, and besides he didn't always know what she would do, having gotten her from the pound over a year ago. So they went on ahead, his dog shooting ahead of him when he let her off the lead. We followed circumspectly. I do rather wonder what he thought when we didn't pass them--duh--and he didn't meet us coming back up, either. Probably that we had gone back early; but in point of fact we did our usual dropping-off-a-cliff trick, going down the steep but fairly easy slope.

After dinner Phil had a movie for me to watch: Shaun and the Dead. If Gordon Freeman worked in an electronics store and was trying to protect multiple people, you'd be pretty close. Nice slow zombies, of course, and you have to take the head out, but.....yeah.

Now going off to read Angel Wars and similar until I get in the shower. I hope Trina's been on. Haven't seen her all day. Maybe too much family action.....the collegiate sibs are still home, I believe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too bad Philip didn't take a picture of the outfit. Next time have him put that phone to use.

The family from Alaska sounds very interesting. What are they going to do for an income?

We've been out in the garden. The raspberries have been rescued from strangling by bindweed. It's a very tricky procedure, as they are delicate and thoroughly wound up by the much tougher bindweed. If you just pull, it's the end of the berry. So...think picking out a tricky seam of sewing. Not a boy job at all.

Dad is going nuts with the widowmaker -- he has high hopes of turning pasture into garden. I just hope we can maintain what garden we have. Christie and Mike have been out in theirs, and she gave me her leftover bedding plants (she's just too nice to be alive).

Are we remembering G-ma's motion restrictions for the hip?

Thanks.

Anna said...

I thought of having him do that, but before church we were on the way out and after church I was changing for walkies.

Philip said the dad's employment situation was "sketchy". Apparently he works for a defense contractor in Antarctica, so employment is sporadic and prolonged.

I should think not. Good grief. Unless you gave them knives....you know what, forget I said that.

THAT'S MY FRICKING PASTURE! TELL HIM TO GET AWAY FROM IT!!

And yes, she is.

Actually, the therapist said today that we could start pushing limits. Like, stretch and see how far she can go before it hurts. She can't put socks on,but she's made lots of progress. Did I mention these women are trying to put me out of a job?