Saturday, May 23, 2009

Loldogs

Everybody slept in. I believe Lark enjoyed it, but as I was not under the covers, having fallen asleep waiting for Grandma to get out of the bathroom, I was not warm. I ended up taking a shower after breakfast, and washing my hair.

Grandma started making a do-list at breakfast. T_T Philip vacuumed all the carpets, and I mopped the kitchen and greenhouse floors. Next we're running errands: taking the dishes back to their owners, for one. Meanwhile, clouds have moved in after this morning's sun, and all in all it looks like rain. I wonder if we'll get soaked again...?

Well, we took the dishes back. Norma didn't seem to be home, so we left hers on her (covered) porch; Joan was too far across town, so we gave hers to Jinn; and Philip found Jinn's condos relying on Google Maps and instinct alone. Jinn was happy to see us, and invited us in. She has a very nice kitchen, as far as decorating-induced mood goes. I asked her about bridge, and she says they're happy to come over as soon as Grandma's ready. Need to talk to Grandma about that. There's also a luncheon in, I think, early June they want her for. Noted. Jinn showed me over her house, saying that while she preferred the country it wasn't bad once you got used to it. Discussing the sort of place she'd like to have (a small acreage, with chickens, ducks, and geese), I asked, "No goats?" She conceded a couple of goats, and told me a story about her dad. Apparently he was in the habit of buying things from auctions a reselling them. One purchase, brought home in the stock rack, was a small herd of goats. He brought them home and released them in the backyard, where Jinn's mother had hung out her wash. Oops. "Did she kill him?" I asked. "I thought for a minute she was going to," Jinn admitted.

Then we went to a liquor store, Philip having a yen for a beer he had, hitherto, only found at the Yard House. Here, having seen a sign at the door forbidding "children between the ages of 12 and 20", and a sign over the beer cooler saying that because of rising shoplifting in the economic downturn (no, really) purses longer than six inches had to stay in the car. Well, you know my purse. A foot if it's an inch. So, having found his beer, Philip handed me his keys and told me to head out to the car. Passing three employees and nearly bumping into two others (one at the inner door, one at the outer), I made it into the parking lot, where rain was falling heavily. I tried to unlock the car. None of the keys on the ring worked. I tried every single one, including the obvious house keys. I was still standing in the rain, trying keys, when Philip came out. He, of course, unlocked the door, no problem. "I think it would have ben more efficient if I'd just  checked out with you," I said.

We also went to K-mart, the vacuum cleaner needing a new filter. I had been thinking about hats lately, so this sounded good. I didn't find one for rain shedding, but I did find a nice one for just, you know, nice, which had been my other goal. It's tan, with neutral beads on a thong around the brim. I liked the blue one better, since it would have gone nicely with one of my skirts, but unfortunately its beads were anything but neutral and too likely to clash. So I got the safe one. *sigh*

Philip and I made salmon (him) and lemon rice (me) for dinner. Grandma's stove is....difficult. The settings are degrees of temperature, like an oven. Fortunately Grandma was nearby and awake, so I could just ask her. It all came out pretty well. Philip emphasized the salmon's Norwegian origin, which seemed to matter to Grandma too. This conveys nothing whatsoever to me.

Lark didn't get her walk until after dinner. Philip and I were both full, and his basketball game (Nuggets vs. Lakers) was on, but we managed a good long walk, making it home before full dark. We met no one, despite various interesting post-rain tracks in the sand of the trail. Drat.

Philip is watching the game now, at 9:25. I've been on icanhasahotdog.com, hence the goggies. I admit, there's a lot more variety there than one encounters on Heller walks. Now considering when to get into the shower, tomorrow morning being church. :s

No comments: