Monday, April 7, 2008

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-Ha!


I've gotten two replies to my advertisements for lambs! A lady in Crete has Katahdins for sale, and a guy in Lincoln has Corsicans and Corsican/Jacob crosses. Mom sounds disapproving about 'em both, because they're all hair breeds, but I'd love some Jacobs! Not a whole herd, but one or two. That's a particularly spectacular example over there, but maybe you can see why Mom objects. I told the guy I'd like to come take a look. Finally, Mom wants me to go talk to the Schlakes, who always do sheep in 4-H at the fair. I'm not very optimistic, because club lambs tend to be Suffolks, which I'm not enthusiastic about. If I want meat breeds I can get Katahdins or something, thanks, and if I'm looking for wool I'll get something else. Like Icelandics or Finns. Or Cheviots....*sigh* Cheviots have the most adorable faces. But not Suffolks. Anyway, they'd probably be docked so far they don't have tails. Which is a health risk but common or mandatory in show sheep. Which is what the Schlakes are into.

No comments: