Friday, May 25, 2007

Back from the library

So I finally found Sorcery and Cecilia, which I've been looking for for ages, ever since I read The Grand Tour, which is the sequel. It's lots of fun, and is written in letter form: Kate and Cecilia, in Town and Essex, respectively, are writing back and forth, in detail, about everything that happens to them. The book is dedicated to Jane Austen, Georgette Heyer, J.R.R. Tolkien, and Ellen Kushner, in that order. Ellen Kushner seems to have invented the Letter Game, which is how this book came about. Two people write fictional letters back and forth, so one of the two authors writes Cecy's side of it, and the other does Kate. It wasn't a novel, originally. Anyway, I really like it, and am kicking myself for not getting The Grand Tour, it having been a long time since I read it, and it was bit by bit, never checking it out. Stupid of me. In addition to The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (the subtitle for Sorcery and Cecilia, and rather more accurate, I think), I got The Golden Compass (never tried Philip Pullman before), Only You Can Save Mankind and Johnny and the Dead (Terry Pratchett's Johnny Maxwell trilogy), Cowboy Bebop volumes one and two, A Series of Unfortunate Events eight through thirteen, and several Teys (A Shilling for Candles, Daughter of Time, and I think The Man in the Queue). I think that's all. Presently I'm reading Daughter of Time, having finished, in addition to Sorcery and Cecilia, both Cowboy Bebops. And I was hoping this haul would last me.
At the library, I used one of the filtered computers. Never before have I used a library computer for anything beyond the online catalog. It was a good cause, though: our computers have been having trouble with ep 38, and I watched 38 and 39. Luffy is stuck underwater now, and his friends are fighting Arlong's mermen without him. It becomes incredibly irritating listening to mermen constantly talk about how humans are inferior to mermen, humans can never beat them, mermen are a superior race. Bah. Racism is boring. Sentience equals equality, except that I'm not certain mermen are sentient. Damn, the breed is: I'd forgotten that mermaid. Phooey. Okay, they're sentient. No more racism. I wonder whether drow are sentient? If I really wanted to know, I'd read a book that has 'em. I don't and I won't.
'M gonna go see how well ep 40 loads.

No comments: