Friday, May 11, 2007

Went to town today after all. It was the downtown, Bennett Martin, which I'm nearly always happy about. It's one of the oldest libraries in town, and has one of the best collections. So I got Tamora Pierce's Immortals and Three by Tey, which contains Miss Pym Disposes, Brat Farrar (yes, I know, got it already), and one I can't recall the title of. I've already finished rereading the latter two Daine books, which is frankly ridiculous. Pierce says that JK Rowling taught her that kids will read longer books, which is one thing we can sincerely thank Rowling for. I can, anyway. I've been thinking about the series (what the heck is the plural??!) of series about Tortallan girls. Alanna, in Song of the Lioness, was fighting Roger of Conte; his defeat was what all four books were leading up to. Ditto for Daine and Emperor Ozorne: she doesn't kick his shiny tail feathers until the end of the last book. But Kel, in Protector of the Small, doesn't acquire her goal until the end of the third book. I don't mind, it's just not so consistent. And the tradition of battles, or ordeals, or whatever, at the end of each book, hasn't been ignored in First Test and Squire; it's just that those books have no mention whatsoever of Blayce the Gallan. And then Aly, in Daughter of the Lioness, doesn't really have a single, permanent foe. Objectives and enemies change between the two books. In Trickster's Choice, she's trying to get the Balitang children through the summer, win her wager, and go home. In Trickster's Queen, she's trying to get the Twice-Royal onto the throne. Different.

Tag, The Sheep Who Can't Drink From a Bucket, still isn't, but he's learned something. Yesterday I got him to drink from the trough through a nipple, like a straw, okay? Well, today, we learned that I can let go of the nipple, and he's figured out that he has to point it down and have the base of the nipple in the water, or he doesn't get any water. Progress, don't you think?

Eh. I should probably go up to bed soon. Wouldn't it be cool if I had a computer in my room?

No comments: