Thursday, June 11, 2009

Coyote

0.o This one was a winner. It started out with me and Lark walking to Lincoln, although I think perhaps I had a scooter or something. It ended up with me as Rayne, fighting some relations who'd stolen a family business or something. I'm not sure why he ended up shopping for snow traversal equipment, though. For one thing, I don't think there was any snow on the ground. I wonder if my subconscious is telling me the only adventures I can have are vicarious?

Well, Karen came sometime after ten-thirty to take an INR that seems to have disturbed her. She's going to try to come back later today, if she manages. We'll see. Diane came after that, and we all talked about pets during lunch. Lark took enthusiastic part in the discussion. I was petting her with my right hand and had to use my spoon with my left.

We engaged in a spot of reconnaissance for our walk today. The original plan had been to do this down at the far end of Rockhurst, where there would appear to be something in the nature of a store. However, we set out at about two-thirty, Grandma wanted us back by four, and it was three o'clock when we hit the road where we usually come off it. At this point I should explain our route. I was trying to save time, so we went along the driveway that runs behind the house, taking the opportunity to find the best way to get off it and strike across towards the dorms. Having ascertained the lay of the land in this area, we then proceeded to further acquaint ourselves with the slope we're in the habit of descending. Ground looks very different going up from its appearance going down. In the end, we hit an open spot some distance above our objective, and at this point simply went down a little way to the road. Then, still according to the original plan, we headed up the road, until I looked at my watch and decided we didn't have enough time. There was no way we could go up to Rockhurst, down it a mile or so, back up, and then down the gravel road to Grandma's, because after that there was no way I would be able to mind my feet going down the secret passage. So I decided this would be an opportune moment to follow the last two stretches of the gravel road, which I'd always skipped and which bothered me rather, nagging at me as unexplored ways tend to do these days. So we went that way. It's a winding road, with large expanses of trees and scrub between the stretches. In theory I was aware that there were coyotes living in there. I was still surprised when we encountered one by the side of the road, on the last stretch, within a shout of the dorms. I saw it when I turned to look back at a movement, and then Lark spotted it. She charged over. I said, very firmly, "No. Come on. Leave it," and began to walk away. She followed, somewhat to my relieved surprise, but then the coyote came out into the road, looking to me as though it would come after us. I turned and advanced on it a little, shouting at it to leave my dog alone. It thought better of coming and sheered off into the brush on the other side of the road. Lark, idiot, followed, but she came when I called her back, and we began to walk toward the dorms. I kept a wary eye out for the coyote, and tracked his cautious stalk of us long after Lark had apparently forgotten all about it. He was out of sight when we reached the gate, having apparently stayed at one post where there was a screen of brush once we were at a certain distance.

I could still see the coyote when I started hearing the sound of a basketball from the little paved area with a hoop behind the dorm. Lark headed for the boy with a ball as soon as she ducked under the gate, and I followed her, more slowly and a little uncertainly. He proved to be willing to put up with a little dog after his ball, and we stayed there for a while, exchanging occasional comments while he and Lark played, until he had to go.He was nice--diffident, and I think also uncertain. 

Jinn came over to chat, bringing some experimental soup to try on us. Apparently she had obtained (after several attempts met by a closed gift shop) the soup cookbook sold by a monastery called, if I recall correctly, Christ in the Desert. *googles* ......Well, I suppose it could be the one in New Mexico.....Anyway. Someone managed to buy the cookbook for her, and she is now happily trying out recipes, and brought the fruits of one such endeavor to us, as test audience. So we're going to have that for dinner.

After Jinn left Sid called to tell me she had some extra cole slaw, and would we be interested? We would indeed. I wish these people would quit worrying about whether I'll like something, though. I'll eat it, okay? Don't worry about it. So Lark and I went over to Sid's, with direction from the home base to come right back. Lark hung back to dally a bit with the cat, and a fascinating burrow under a tree, but I did, assisted somewhat by the presence of Ralph's brother John. There's a certain family resemblance, a similar head shape, but they don't cultivate it at all. Where Ralph has the remaining hair on the sides of his head buzz cut, John has a thick sheet of silver hair combed straight over his head. He doesn't wear glasses, and his expression is cooler than Ralph's. He doesn't smile as much or as warmly. To top it off, I'm pretty sure this is the brother Ralph mentioned as not liking Mitch, which strongly reinforces my impression. He was polite, I suppose, if cool, and thought he might have met me before. Ralph said he was thinking of Philip. I'm inclined to agree.

But speaking of Sid, she's been planning on renting Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon to watch with Isaac. She got it, and they plan to watch it on Saturday night. I'm invited, acceptance pending approval by my chain of command. The top said "probably," so now it only remains to be seen if Philip has anything better to do. It seems unlikely--his plans tend to be for Friday nights, so Saturday should be free. I hope so. I'd like to watch a movie with Isaac; I might get a retort out of it, for when Philip complains about people who talk during movies. Besides that, I'd like to see this movie, and possibly Isaac's relations along with. I don't know who else will be there, but it seems probable that Sid's going to have another gathering on.

Well, I think I'll go watch Batman Begins now.

No comments: