Monday, June 15, 2009

Two Goldendoodles and a retriever; birthday stuff

Mom got me up about half an hour early. =_=;;; She was rather tsking to find I hadn't trained Lark to get the paper yet--I'd completely forgotten about that plan. Lee came about nine to work with Grandma, and I read No Bad Dogs a bit after getting dressed to go. I was printing out a B&N coupon when B called to say happy birthday! It was nice to hear from her.

Once Phil got back with the car, Mom and I went shopping. We started at the Book Rack, where I got a nice horse photo book, Miles, Mystery, and Mayhem, a Peter Dickinson, a Caroline Stevermer, and Berserk vol. 1. Next on the list was Heroes and Dragons, which seems to have shut down. So from there we went to Hooked on Books, which was great. There I found four Heyers, including the mystery I'd never read; two Bujolds, Shards of Honor and Barrayar; and a nice copy of Simon & Schuster's Guide to Dogs. Philip was nagging us to come home by then, so we went back, picked him up, and went out to lunch.

Lunch was Mobo Sushi. It was absolutely wonderful. The decor was all Japanese in tone, with screens between tables and china geishas dancing on the ledge behind the tables. The staff, from the waitresses to the two chefs behind the counter, all wore red and black tunics, like very short yukata in general design. The food was delicious. Mom had the spicy chicken bento, with tempura veggies and California rolls. Philip had the Sushi Deluxe, which was much like mine but bigger. I had the Nigiri set, which was various fish on rice balls with California rolls. It was really good, with the best pieces being the crab, the eel, and the California rolls. On the side they gave us wasabi and ginger to taste--the colors puzzled Mom, because the ginger was red.  Philip and I both had leftovers, which went home to Grandma.

After we got home, afraid to move in case we overflowed, Philip and I watched Mission: Impossible. It was pretty good--especially nice, again, to see the original of all the parodies. I did somewhat object to the way they went for drama--if there was the least possibility for suspense, for danger, for drama, they used it. 

We finished the movie about four, and once Philip headed out for Golden Lark and I took our walk. Not before time; she was bringing me balls all through the movie, poor thing. We met a few people: a woman with a Golden named Tiber, both rather uninterested; a young man on a bike, who hmph'ed as he passed us; and a man with two Goldendoodles, all rather familiar. I don't think he recognized us, though--if he had, he'd have known that I was aware his dog jumps. Remember the nose to the stomach at high velocity? Yeah. This time I got his collar before he got me, though.

I got home to hear that Sid had called. I called her back, and she said she had something for me, and did I want to come over or should she come here? I would be happy to go over. She was making dinner, but on the bar lay an envelope and a box. I opened the envelope first. Sid had made for me, out of pictures she'd taken of me and Isaac, a birthday card. It was great. On the cover she'd put various pictures of me, looking like a wild woman, wrestling Isaac on the couch the other night. Various fighting sound effects accompanied these. On the inside, opposite the birthday message, was a picture of me, standing very firm, looking after Isaac, whose posture was rather less.....sturdy. Written underneath was the caption, "And next time, don't send a boy to do a man's job!" Uuuuuh.....thanks. It cracked everybody up, though--me, then Grandma and Mom. I'm not sure Philip's going to see it, though.

Dinner was an omelet with fruit salad. Rather a perfunctory affair, but just as well, I suppose. I ready for bed now--tired, sore throat, etc. It's not even eight, though. Pity I don't have any activities I can do with my eyes closed. No comp, no book, no read. Dear me.

No comments: