Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Larky-parky pudding and pie....

Well, last night wasn't perfect, but it was better. Dragged myself out of bed with slightly more facility than yesterday, anyway. We got the wrong paper this morning, but when I called they sent the carrier, a big, colorless man, with the Post. Beautiful and I walked at nine, making it home a bit before ten but not before it got hot. Sigh.

Sid came over to talk for a bit, leaving before any nurses showed up.

Did my math while Maryanne was here, then read for a bit. Finished just before Grandma voted lunch. Used up the last of the ham for sammiches. Reading Chizumi to Fujiomi now. Funny.....it's only three volumes long! It's always seemed longer to me.....

Studied the SAT handbook while Diane was here. Some intriguing strategies in the math. As far as Gruber's concerned I lose points in vocabulary, though, because instead of using his technique for deducing the meaning of a word I already know the word. The antonyms are kinda tricky, but fortunately he says they don't use that in the tests anymore. He includes them for testing vocabulary, but I've discovered that knowing the word is one thing, and figuring out which word is closest to being its opposite is quite another. Is "complex" an antonym of "lucid," or would another choice be better?

Larked the shnorg after dinner, seven-fifteen to eight o'clock. Saw nobody. Cloudy, threatening rain. Pleasantly twilit.

Now reading Superior. Interesting--for once it's the heroine who's a bloodthirsty, enormously powerful cynic with the traumatizing past who's being gentled by the naive hero. Most unusual in shoujo--can't speak for the other genres...

"I don't want something I can't eat, you fool. Besides that--regarding the consequences of bumping into people--which do you choose, having the right side or the left side killed!? Why don't you quickly make up your mind!" 
Standard of edible and non-edible? Before that, is that the definition of being half-dead-----?!

Some poor sap tried to pay her off after she started yelling at him for bumping into her. I don't know where Yuusha is--normally he'd have intervened by now.

No comments: