Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Golden retriever

Well, I went with Sylvester last night. Big mistake. I was awake and coherent by the time Lee came, though, so that was all right. A friend of Grandma's came about eleven-thirty with chicken alfredo and brownies. Nice.

Lark and I went for a walk after lunch, a little after one. I have got to stop walking right after eating. I always get a cramp in my stomach. I think the reason you're not supposed to exercise after eating is because exercise diverts blood from digestion, but I entirely fail to see why this has to hurt. Sheesh. Anyway. It was cool and cloudy, so I had my jacket, but I couldn't find my hat, so when it started raining my glasses immediately got wet. Sigh. I took 'em off until the rain stopped, when we were nearly home. We glimpsed two joggers on other trails, but of dogs there were only tracks. I did hope there would be an archaeological convention around the buildings again when I saw the big gate open, but there was no one. Hm. Did someone forget to close it?

The "Associate Priest", Sally, came to talk to Grandma. I stayed even more out of the way than when Father Paul was here, keeping my headphones on except when the phone rang. I wonder if I'd get my head bitten off if I called her a curate. Anyway, been reading a webcomic Doug sent me. Male chauvinist would be the simplest way to sum up the main character, but that doesn't give any hint of just how insane he is. Oh, well. If Morita were into women instead of money, you might have something similar. Although somehow Rayne always does have money. He does admit to having a job. Anyway, that's what I was doing most of the time the woman was here.

We also had a friend of Grandma's drop in with some food. She was nice, even to the extent of having a golden named Daisy in her back seat. I didn't get to meet her, because Lark came outside with me. Sigh. I think I'm gonna embark on a quest to find a golden I don't like, because those dogs have exactly the personality I adore. Don't tell Lark that, or if you do add that as far as individual personalities go hers is my favorite; but in general (and she has this too), the golden is my type fairly consistently. Big, dippy dogs that love to be petted, you know? Though I dunno I'd want to own one. My type to date, but not marry, I guess.

After dinner I went over to the Seamans'. Yesterday I left my hat over there, and I need that thing when it rains. I had a nice chat with Sid and Ralph, too. Poor Ralph has his arm stuck in the sling for another three weeks before they'll let him start therapy or anything.

Have I mentioned that Grandma's using her cane? She's not allowed to use it when I'm not around, and she's more wobbly than I like, but she's using it regularly now--most of today, in fact. The corollary is that she can go up and down stairs, too--although with someone watching, because she still hasn't made a habit of the procedure. The main point is that the cane is to be at or below the level of her feet at all times. For up, it goes good foot-bad foot-cane; for down, cane-bad foot-good foot.

And we had brownies with mint chocolate chip ice cream for dessert. But I think I've still lost two or three pounds.

No comments: