Thursday, June 25, 2009

Grandma's little brothers

Wriggled out of bed without too much trouble this morning. Looking forward to the uncles coming.

Lark and I went out a bit after nine to find the heat had gotten a good start. x_x There were still more people than usual out--besides the students (the first car went by just after we jumped into the creek bed) there were four guys hiking and a man on a bike who seemed to be trying to map the trails. He was pretty nice--had something of the Brad Pitt facial structure, assisted by a crew cut. I think he said he was a mapping student. I hope he meant cartography. We also went by the dig, where they seem pretty close to finishing up. Lark went and talked to everybody without me. >.> Jogged the last bit home because I'd seen Maryanne's car in the driveway and hoped it might be the Eatons. Sigh.

........I think the telemarketers are spreading the word. As soon as I said I was Mrs. Johnson's granddaughter, he apologized, said he'd call at a more convenient time, and hung up. O.o Anyway, Sid called. Our shopping trip is on for tomorrow after lunch. Whee!

Chuck called during lunch to say they were in Denver. Mode of travel after Denver is unclear, but at least we know they're alive. :p We spent a good long time outside after I brushed the dog, looking out for them, and then it got too hot for us. Shortly after we came inside Chuck called to say they were five minutes out and to get ready for 'em.

They came in the door about four-fifteen, and we heard the story of their odyssey. Apparently the great trouble was Chuck's getting tickets to Dallas to meet Phil, all the flights being booked. From Dallas to Denver was less trouble, and then they couldn't rent a car one-way to Colorado Springs. An Air Force captain managed to get one to Colorado Springs (possibly it wasn't one-way) so they split with her. It was a long story; this is my condensed version. Then Phil told us about his trip to Nepal, with pictures, and then Grandma got out the albums from her trip. We talked a long time--I'd like to think I made a good audience for Phil. ;p

World Disconnect moment: I found out Michael Jackson just died. Where did I learn this? Yahoo? No. The "recent threads" list on MangaUpdates. I'm trying to decide whether I'm proud of it.

Went to dinner at Mimi's with Chuck and Phil. They're fun. :D Probably the only time I'll ever ride in a Cadillac, too: they rented an Escalade. Great big SUV with a video screen for reverse and GPS that doesn't work without the CD. Seriously though, I think I'm getting closer to a decision about what I'm gonna do, just from formulating answers to the questions everybody asks.....

Got home and took the lark for the half-hour walk in the sprinkling rain while Grandma talked to the boys. We didn't meet anyone until the older couple coming down from the gates; then, at the gate, we ran into a policewoman in her car. "Pretty dog," she said. Looking closely, she could have been related to the older woman. Strange.

They left at eight-fifteen. Grandma has some cute little brothers. Chuck's the sweet one, I'd say; and Phil's....hm. A little more reserved: takes at least five minutes to get to know him, as opposed to thirty seconds for Chuck. *huggles them both* I was a little startled to learn that Chuck's the elder, but then, personality has nothing to do with age. I'm sure Chuck would be happy to know, anyway. ;p Incidentally, anyone who directs them to this will die within thirty minutes of so doing from the curse written into the code of this post. Come to think of it, I kinda generally discourage recommendations period. No New Readers Allowed.

Seven pushups/situps just before bed.

No comments: