Friday, June 19, 2009

Yellow lab

Well, I let the Lark out at about eight. She comes home at nine-fifteen. Know what a curfew is, sweetie? Well, they can work in the morning, too.

So, yeah, Cheryl was here, Sid's got granddaughters over, next Mom and Grandma are going to the doctor's.

Well, much of the morning was spent being called from the computer to do chores, including word problems. They went well--it's so nice to have a coach. Mom likes the "Pocky with math" idea.

The phone rang during lunch. It was Riley, one of Sid's grandpuppies, to ask if I could come eat lunch with them. "Sure!" When I got there, Sid told me they'd been asking her to call me all morning. Well. So we had lunch, yogurt and fruit and little rolls of ham, and then Sid took Kylie down for a nap, leaving me to take care of Riley and Sidney. We did okay, playing with some toy horses and dolls, then doing a song and dance show, with me as audience. Lark was pretty nervous, but much better than the first evening. I mean, she never looked as though she were considering a snap. She wasn't much help when they had me laid out on the couch, performing surgery with various power tools, though--in fact, she was sitting on my stomach for much of that period, giving her the best opportunity to lick my face when I was laughing/screaming when it tickled. Help. A toy saw to the bottoms of the feet or lower frontal ribcage is a dangerous tool. They eventually finished up with turning me into a robot and then back again, and then Sidney decided to fix my hair for me. I have to say, the process gave me a new respect for B, although she did ask for it. Also there's less a little girl can do to short hair.......My salvation was my hair tie, which Sidney eventually declared unmanageable and returned to me. I put my hair back in its ponytail and we went to find Sid. She gave me a wipe for my glasses, which by this time were hopeless, and the little girls occupied themselves with the hose and some water balloons. I beat a retreat. No Philip in sight--two-forty-five.

Still on five reps, push-and-sit-ups. The pushups are getting harder, and my abs complain vociferously when I make a wrong move.

Phil came....when, four? Maybe. Mom and Grandma got in shortly after, and we sat around eating Boonzaijer goodies until Sid called to tell me remember that pie? Come get some, so I headed over there. The granddaughters were loaded into a mom's van, but Sid had half a blueberry cheesecake for me. Yummy......

It was almost five-thirty when Lark and I went out. It was still pretty hot, too. She kept careful track of me, possibly also scared by this morning's escapade, which is reassuring. On the first leg I was coming up on a curve when Lark, already at the bend, stopped. Her tail wagged a couple times, the hello-I-don't-know-you-are-you-nice? wag, and she checked to see that I was coming. Give me another month or so and I'll tell you whether it's males or females just from her behavior. In this case it was a couple of young guys in shorts. One was wearing an undershirt. The other.....wasn't. The first one was appropriately willing to pet a little dog circling his legs, and as I came by he said, "Nice dog." "Thank you," I said. Just after that is the dike for the pond, where a yellow lab was getting her water fix. I think one of her hocks was rather swollen, and it showed in her gait. She ignored Lark. We went on, and were both pretty hot and tired by the time we reached the base. I'm reading Cetaganda now, and wondering whether to continue with Ii Hito, now that his girlfriend is beginning to find out about all the women in Tokyo who like him......

Note: try to get Phil to take me to B&N this weekend. Also try for Renaissance Fair at some point.

The boys called this evening. Hm....

No comments: