Sunday, June 21, 2009

Yellow lab

Guergh. Woke up in the middle of the night with no blankets. Eventually located them on the floor. Fully awake, dressed, etc. by nine, while Phil's eating breakfast.

We made it to church before the announcements, but it was pretty close. I was in worse shape than I'd expected, but I made it through. The sermon was on Salvation, with the text from Titus. It was pretty good--a consistent grade for Dave Reese, so far. We sat behind the DeBenedittis girl, and after the service two of 'em--I can't remember any names-to-faces, except that Abby is the English major--stayed to talk to us. I do like those women. Actually, I like an awful lot of the people I've met at church. Surprisingly, really, except Philip says of course they're nice. Philip is spoiled. We talked to a fair number of people--Philip talked to Dave Reese, which is why we're going out to lunch; we both talked to Jenna Boonzaijer and her youngest boy; and I had a nice long chat with Mrs. Marble. Actually it wasn't that long, but Philip was waiting outside because I wasn't supposed to do more than say hi (an unreasonable expectation) so to him, it was long. He struck up an acquaintance with a homeless little man with a bike who'd stopped to use the bathroom, though, so it shouldn't be a complete loss. We've decided that if Phil ever goes off adventuring he'll take me, although I got the impression Doug has first dibs. Ah. He doesn't want 'em, though.

Went to Reeses' for lunch. It was really fun. There were all the Reeses, Rosie, Ben, a couple and their three kids. The kids were all pretty little, so that was interesting, and Tava through Isaiah are nice to talk to, although Isaiah was doing a pretty good sugar high when I left and was not making much sense. Tava's got a job for the moment, and has her college all picked out. She'll get there, too, with a 4.0 GPA. Boston University'll probably be happy to have her. All these smart, motivated women....she was very firm in recommending I take the SAT. Sigh. Oh, yeah, nota bene: the best time and place to dumpster dive is at a college right after graduation. The rich kids leave all their stuff. I didn't think much of their dog, an aging yellow lab named Ezra who spent the whole time outside trying to hit us kids up for food. He's very good at puppy eyes, and is Elle's dog. I also spent some time on the floor with, alternately, the babies and the boys, going through a small bin of action figures and bits. Couple of GI's and one's leg. We left after ice cream.

Came home, wrote a little, and then took off for the psalm sing, which was at four. They alternated the new altered psalms, of which there are fortunately not many, prayer requests from neighboring churches, and psalm requests. They were setting out food when we left, although I got some conversation in first. I asked the Reeses about psalm CD's, and Mr. Reese directed me to a website, with recommendations. Then Philip introduced me, on the way out, to Cindy....I can't recall her last name. Husband named Shane, I believe. Anyway, Philip entirely forgot what happens when he introduces me to someone: we talk. He stood outside waiting for a few minutes again. Really, he shouldn't be so surprised: if someone's worth introducing me to, surely they're worth talking to?

We got home about six or so, and I promptly got the shnog out for a walk. The sun was going down, there was a lot of shade, and it was beginning to cool down. We made the round trip in half our usual time. It may have helped that a) Lark tracked me and b) I wore my sneakers, as possibly more comfortable than boots. They were. Sang some of the psalms I know on the way home. We never met anyone.

Plans: renaissance fair, visit Marbles (next Saturday), Jim's fight (ditto), shopping with Sid.

Reading The Blue Hawk, Mom having stolen the book I was looking forward most to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I became intereѕting іn reaԁing this when I read the ѕummary,
but I haԁn't heard much about it, so I didn't aԁd it too my
Book Review liѕt.

Anyway, аfter уour review, I will be sure
to do sо!